best law schools in south africa 2024-2025
best law schools in south africa 2024-2025
- The University of the Western Cape (UWC) provides a law degree program that, according to the university, will prepare you for a career in the legal field, whether it be in the public or private sector, as a lawyer or advocate, a legal advisor or academic, or eventually as a magistrate or judge.
- The Faculty is divided into four departments: Public Law and Jurisprudence, Mercantile and Labor Law, Private Law, and Criminal Justice and Procedure.
- Law degrees are available through the University of South Africa’s (Unisa) open distance learning program, which combines online and self-study. You will be given access to a wide range of opportunities if you decide to consider studying law at Unisa.
- The College of Law at Unisa is divided into two parts: the School of Law and the School of Criminal Justice.
University of Cape Town
- The Faculty of Law at the University of Cape Town (UCT) is well worth a look.
- Within the Law Faculty, there are three departments: Commercial Law, Public Law, and Private Law. These departments are each in charge of providing instruction and carrying out research in particular fields of legal theory, knowledge, and practice. Furthermore, one or more specialized academic and research units are housed within each department.
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- The Department of Applied Legal Studies at Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) offers a Bachelor of Paralegal Studies program.
- This course is ideal if you want to work as a Paralegal Practitioner.
- Students will be exposed to a distinctive blend of theory, procedure, and practice in public, private, and commercial law.
University of Johannesburg
- If you live in Johannesburg and want to study law, you might end up at the University of Johannesburg (UJ). The Faculty of Law at UJ offers legal studies.
- This faculty provides traditional law programs such as BA Law, BCom Law, and LLB, as well as LLM degrees by dissertation and coursework and LLD degrees in a variety of important fields.
- In addition to these degrees, the Faculty has a strong non-formal programs division that offers postgraduate diplomas, certificates, and short courses in specialized fields like contract drafting, insolvency law, compliance, criminal justice, and forensic investigation.
University of the Witwatersrand
- The School of Law at the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) is a premier institution for legal studies on the African continent.
- A BCom in Law, an LLB, and a BA in Law are all offered by Wits University. Furthermore, they provide postgraduate law programs. The market places a high value on Wits study programs due to their caliber of instruction and usefulness. By taking classes in a variety of subjects taught by renowned professionals, students can become top-tier legal specialists.
University of Pretoria
- The Faculty of Law at the University of Pretoria (UP) aspires to be a global leader in socially significant legal research and instruction, both in South Africa and abroad.
- There are several departments within UP’s Faculty of Law, including the Centre for Human Rights, Jurisprudence, Mercantile Law, Private Law, Procedural Law, and Public Law. They provide LLB, BA in Law, and BCom Law degrees.
Vaal University of Technology
- The Department of Legal Services at Vaal University of Technology (VUT) offers Law and Law-related qualifications.
- The following diplomas are available from VUT: a diploma in labor law, a diploma in legal aid, a diploma in policing, a diploma in safety management, a diploma in mediation, a diploma in policing, a diploma in safety management, and a diploma in advanced policing.
- Students registered for qualifications offered by other departments and faculties are also offered by the department all discipline-specific law and safety courses.
Durban University of Technology
- The Durban University of Technology is one of the many law schools in South Africa (DUT).
- DUT has a Department of Applied Law that provides a variety of law subjects to other Durban University of Technology departments. As a result, the department provides legal background to students who may need it for their specific courses.
- Only a Diploma in Management Sciences: Business Law is offered by the department.
Nelson Mandela University
- Nelson Mandela University (NMU) has a Faculty of Law that offers a Law qualification. Their legal curriculum includes Public Law, Mercantile Law, Private Law, and Criminal and Procedural Law.
- Law degrees at NMU range from Certificates and Diplomas to Doctoral Degrees.
University of the Free State
- The University of the Free State (UFSFaculty )’s of Law offers an LLB degree.
- Each year, the University of the Free State’s Faculty of Law turns out a number of highly sought-after graduates. A successful student who takes advantage of this opportunity will have a bright future thanks to an active placement program for graduates in suitable positions, managed within the faculty.
University of Limpopo
- The School of Law at the University of Limpopo (UL) is divided into four departments: Jurisprudence, Legal Pluralism, Criminal Law and Procedure, Mercantile and Labour Law, Private Law, and Public and Environmental Law.
- The School offers two LLB programs at the undergraduate level.
- The School of Law offers a Master of Laws degree at the postgraduate level.
North West University
- North West University’s (NWU) Faculty of Law provides quality legal education while offering curricula that include public law, legal philosophy, private and commercial law, as well as criminal and procedural law.
- NWU Law courses include BCom Law, LLB, Extended LLB, and BA Law.
- Another South African university that offers law is Rhodes University. The LLB, LLM, and PhD are the three degrees offered by the law faculty.
- The Faculty’s mission, in pursuit of its vision, is to produce high-quality graduates capable of becoming leaders in legal practice, commerce, industry, politics, or academia.
University of Kwazulu-Natal
- At the University of Kwazulu-Natal, law is offered (UKZN). The School of Law is housed within the College of Law and Management Studies.
- UKZN offers an LLB degree that can be completed either full-time or part-time. A Postgraduate Law degree is also available.
- Stellenbosch University (SU) provides the following Law degrees: BCom Law, LLB, BA (Law), BAccLLB, LLM, and LLD.
- The Faculty is divided into three departments: Mercantile Law, Private Law, and Public Law, as well as a Law Clinic.
University of Fort Hare
- The Nelson R. Mandela School of Law at the University of Fort Hare (UFH) offers Law. The following qualifications are available: LLB, BCom Law, and Postgraduate Law degrees are available.
- In addition to the legal profession, business, government, and non-governmental organizations all place a high value on the knowledge and skills that law studies offer.
University of Venda
- By enrolling in the School of Law at the University of Venda (Univen), you can study law.
- The legal divisions at Univen include the departments of criminal and procedural law, criminal justice, law and jurisprudence, commerce law, private law, public law, and the department of legal aid clinic.
Walter Sisulu University
- The Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Law at Walter Sisulu University (WSU) offers a law degree program. WSU grants both a Postgraduate degree and an LLB.
University of Zululand
- Law can be studied at the University of Zululand, also known as Unizulu. Unizulu provides an LLB degree.
Tshwane University of Technology
- A degree in legal assistance is available from Tshwane University of Technology (TUT). The National Diploma in Legal Assistance, the Diploma in Legal Support, and the Diploma in Law are additional degrees they provide.
- TVET colleges offer training for legal secretaries. This certification was developed to help students who have a strong interest in and aptitude for a certain field of work advance their abilities as legal secretaries, enabling them to either continue their education or find employment and make contributions to the industry at entry-level and/or second-tier levels.
Boston City Campus
- A BCom Law degree from the private university Boston City Campus is equivalent to a university degree. In Boston, there is a paralegal program.
IIE Varsity College
- Varsity College’s law school, which grants degrees in BCom LAw, BA Law, and LLB, is an additional option for you. These take the place of a college diploma.
- You can also choose from other Law-related qualifications.