The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is a bursary scheme that offers poor and working-class South African students complete support for free higher education and training. The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) vision is to offer students from poor and working-class families financial aid, to commence studies at public universities and TVET colleges.
Nsfas Online Application dates for 2023
The Online Application for 2023 was officially opened on 28 September 2022 for applicants apply for financial support. The ending period will close on the 31 January 2023.
Do NOT apply if you meet the following criteria:
- Foreign student (NOT a South African citizen)
- Total household income is over R350 000 per annum
- Completed a previous tertiary qualification
- Already applied and received funding
Nsfas Online Application: Qualification for NSFAS funding
- The nsfas program is open to all inhabitants of South Africa.
- All beneficiaries of SASSA grants are eligible for NSFA funding.
- Students whose household incomes together do not exceed R350 000 annually
- Disability individual: No one household’s combined income may exceed R600,000.
- Applicants who began their studies prior to 2018 and whose annual household income is less than R122 000.
Who does not qualify: Nsfas Online Application
- Students who have earned a prior credential.
- Students whose home income is greater than R350 000 annually.
- Students that have already applied, been approved, and received support from the nsfas. In the event that students pass their modules and fulfill the academic criteria, they are immediately financed for the remainder of their study.
Nsfas funding: who does the Nsfas Support
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) support students both in the University and Tvet Colleges. The listed below are the financial areas the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) covers.
University in South Africa
- Accommodation Coverage
- Considering the actual expenses of the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Cover Transport (up to 40 kilometers from the institution) (up to 40 km from the institution) R7 500 per year
- Living allowance cover is R15,000 annually
- Cover’s Book compensation R5200 annually
- R2900 is the annual incidental/personal care payment for students living in catered housing.
Tvet College in South Africa
- Provide housing in a city for R24,000 per year.
- Provide housing in a peri-urban location for R18,900 year.
- Coverage for lodging in a remote region at a cost of R15,750 annually
- R7,350 per year for Cover Transport (up to 40 km from the Institution)
- R 7000 for Cover Transport annually
- R2900 is the annual incidental/personal care stipend.
Nsfas Online Application Requirements
Applying students should ensure that they meet the following minimum entry criteria before applying:
- South African citizen
- Receive a SASSA grant
- Total household income is R350 000 or less per annum
- Applying to study at a TVET College or public university
- Already registered as a university student with a total household income of under R122 000 per annum
- Passed grade 9 and grade 10 to receive funding to study at TVET College
- Passed Matric to receive funding to study at University
- Registering for your first time at a public university for an undergraduate qualification or registered at a public TVET College for a National Certificate Vocational/ report 191 programme
NOTE. Applicants can download THE NSFAS ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AND CONDITIONS FOR FINANCIAL AID HERE for more information.
Nsfas Online Application: Supporting Documents needed for Applying Nsfas
The following documents, in clear copies, are required of students (failure to provide the required documentation will result in application rejection).
- ID document/ ID card (electronic and verified copies)
- Birth certificate in full (if you do not have an ID document or ID card) both an electronic and certified copy
- Parents/ guardians ID documents (electronic and verified copies)
- Death certificate for the parents or guardians (should it apply) (electronic and verified copies)
- Payslips/ employment letters/ pension advice (not older than 3 months) (submit no SASSA slips. It is appropriate to exclude SASSA from family income.) (electronic and verified copies)
- Contact details (In order for NSFAS to contact you during the application process and to provide you feedback on the results of your application, please supply a phone number and/or email address.)
- NSFAS Consent Form pdf– finished and signed by parents/ guardians
- If you are disabled, fill out and submit NSFAS Disability Annexure A(.pdf)
- Complete and submit the NSFAS Declaration Form if orphaned (.pdf) – to be signed by an Isibindi Child Youth Care Worker/ a social worker from the Department of Social Development and submitted to an Isibindi Centre/ NYDA office.
Nsfas Online Application Form 2023
The various application forms from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) has been listed below. Download in PDF format.
How to Apply Nsfas Online 2023
In applying for financial support at nsfas, there are two methods that applicants can use to apply.
Method 1 [When applying Online]
- Go to www.nsfas.org.za
- Click on “myNSFAS” tab
- Click on “Register“
- Tick the box to allow NSFAS to verify your details
- Then enter your ID number on the field as it is stated on your South African Identity Document (ID)
- Type in your full names and surname as per your ID number
- Type in your current email address
- Confirm your email address
- Type in your cellphone number
- Create a password
- Confirm password
- Upload your ID Copy
- Click on register
- An OTP will be sent to the email and cell number provided (this OTP expires after 24 hours)
- Type in the OTP and click submit
- You have now completed your re-registration
- Click the APPLY tab to be directed to the online application form.
Method 2 [When you’re at the NYDA Centre]
- Go to a NYDA center/office near you and fill out an application form.
- A NYDA center worker will explain the application process and provide you an application form to fill out.
- Use a black pen to fill out the application form in CAPITAL letters and sign it in the designated areas.
- Submit your application form along with any supporting documentation (as listed below). Ensure that your supporting documents are signed on the front and are no more than three months old.
- A receipt card with a bar code will be mailed to you.
Nsfas Application Status: How to check
How to check Nsfas Application Status: How do I Check my NSFAS Status
The actions listed below can be used by students to verify the status of their application if they haven’t heard anything about it.
- Step 1.Visit the official NSFAS website and log in to the application on the online platform: my.nsfas.org.za
- Step 2. Please click on SIGN IN and enter your login and password.
- Step 3. After search for Track Funding Progress and click on it.
- Click here for more information about your application status check.
Nsfas students accommodation
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) has come out with a student accommodation portal that will ensure efficiency in areas such as grading and accreditation of accommodation, cost, paying off private accommodation providers, small accommodation providers and increased students accommodation capacity.
Furthermore the management urge students seeking for financial support from them to be very vigilant of online scammers claiming to assist them with the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) funding Online Application at a fee. For any assistance use the contacts below.
Nsfas Online Application 2023-2024: Nsfas Mastercard
The NSFAS MasterCard has been launched by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) as a new direct payment method for student allowances. Applicants can click here to read on Nsfas Mastercard
Nsfas Contact Information
||PRIVATE BAG X1, PLUMSTEAD, 7801
||2nd Floor, House Vincent, 10 Brodie Road, Wynberg, Cape Town, 7700
||021 763 3200 / 08000 67327
kindly note that, all information found on this web portal was pick from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) website to help you in the application process. So for more information go to their main web by clicking here
Nsfas Online Application 2023-2024
Nsfas Application 2023-2024