social grant relief 2024-2025

By | November 8, 2022

social grant relief 2024-2025

social grant relief 2024-2025

social grant relief 2024-2025

A one-time grant for social relief of distress is given to a person who is in dire need. The award provides support to those who are unable to provide for their own basic needs or those of their family. The donation could come in the form of money, food, or a voucher.

You must fulfill one of the requirements listed below in order to be eligible for Social Relief of Distress:

  • While you wait for your children’s grants to be processed, you need help.
    You are in a dire situation and are ineligible for a grant. There has been a catastrophe or calamity (for example, your house has burned down).
    You have a medical condition that prevents you from working for less than six months.
    You cannot get child support from your child or the other parent of the kids.
    The family’s primary provider passed away.
    The primary earner has spent a short time behind bars (less than six months)
    Although your neighborhood or community has been affected by a disaster, it has not been declared a disaster area.

What results do you get?

  • The Social Relief of Distress may take the shape of a food box or a food voucher. Some provinces provide this support in cash. Social Relief of Distress is only available for a limited time – usually up to three months, which can be extended for another three months.

What you must do
Apply for social distress relief at your nearest South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office or online at
Please include the following documents with your application:

  • your 13-digit barcoded identification document, as well as your children’s birth certificates
    If you do not have an identity document and/or a birth certificate:
    a commissioned affidavit by a Justice of the Peace The affidavit must include a paragraph stating that providing incorrect or misleading information will result in punishment under Section 21 of the Social Assistance Act of 2004.
    a sworn declaration from a credible individual who knows the applicant and the kid This could be from a councilman, traditional leader, social worker, or religious clergy.
    proof that a birth certificate or identification document application has been filed with the Department of Home Affairs
    A temporary identity paper issued by the Department of Home Affairs, if applicable.

    • a baptismal certificate.
    • a road to health clinic card.
    • a school report.
  • Please keep in mind that no application can be completed without being accompanied by a sworn statement/affidavit.
  • If you lack identification and birth certificates, an affidavit from your local police station, chief, counselor, or religious leader may suffice.
  • Show proof that you:
    • have applied for a grant
    • have had an emergency (e.g. provide a police report that your house burnt down)
    • have tried to get maintenance
    • have no other support
    • are married, divorced, or single
    • have no income
    • have a short-term medical disability.

How long does it take

  • Your application will be reviewed right away.
  • After you submit your application, it will be reviewed for credibility and a real need for the service.
  • Even if you lack all of the required documents, you will receive your first month’s food box, voucher, or cash.
  • Remember to provide all of the paperwork to the officer before the second month’s payment is due. If you do not, you may not receive your food box, voucher, or cash for the second and third months.
  • If your circumstances do not change after three months of receiving the award, you may petition to have it extended for another three months.

How much does it cost?

  • The service is free.

Forms to complete

  • The application form is not available online, however, it is available in your local SASSA office.

Who to contact


Related Links

For more info, click here


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *